Well, here we are into December, the final month of 2019 — and the final month of this DECADE. A lot sure has changed, for you, for me, and for the world. But before we wax too retrospective, let’s sit where we are for a bit.
The December holidays are upon us.
And it’s also the time for another kind of giving: giving to yourself.
What do I mean by that? Well, it’s simple, really: take some time during the rush of these holidays and do SOMETHING to positively affect your tax bill.
Because the fact remains that anything done after 12/31/2019 won’t be able to help you, at least for 2019 (with a few tiny exceptions, like IRA’s, etc.).
So to that end, I thought I’d work to get you thinking a little, and ask you to consider the following questions, and if something has changed for you, let me know … there might be some moves to make. Shoot me back an email if so.
This isn’t our “official” tax preparation questionnaire, it’s simply designed to help us figure out if we can do something before year-end to make a real difference … before we can’t anymore.
1) Have you had a significant change in your wage income this year?
2) Have you taken capital gains or losses this year? Are you planning to?
3) Did you start or sell a business this year?
4) Did you purchase real estate?
5) Did you make your full contributions to retirement accounts?
6) Have you considered a Roth IRA?
7) Did you withdraw from retirement accounts, and for what purpose?
8) Are there any other tax or financial (or other) issues you think we should know about?
Now — your answers to these questions are just a beginning (not an end), and they will help us to know which direction to take as we work with you over the next month to prepare for year-end.
Hope to see you in here soon…